Re: [Harp-L] Harp Depot

If a business sells to (let's say) 886 customers and 6 get stung, that leaves 880.

But a business where the 6 can speak to the 880 with the click of a button, and where the 880 can go elsewhere, had better do some more math.

I am talking through my hat somewhat, but I've read over and over again about how merchants who can stand to lose six customers like that thrived in a time when the customer had 'imperfect information'.

Harp-l improves our information as customers with choices substantially, has this weekend anyway.

I STILL want to moderate my judgement of Harp Depot, I still want to believe that they're going to make good. Making good, along with an apology - that rather than perfection is all we can expect.

I am especially excited about the idea that as a group we may well be exerting pressure on Harp Depot to simply become a better citizen of the harmonica community. I'd rather see more companies selling harmonicas than fewer.

But unless our community represents a tiny subset of their customer base, and it may well, then our community represents a SUBSTANTIAL part of their customer base, and they have gotten in a bad odor with alot of us this weekend. People have read their policy pages pretty carefully this weekend and reported back to the rest of us. Those words sound pretty honest and straightforward to me. They appear to admit that they may or may not work hard for you as a customer. That's a really unique policy statement. It's honest, but it doesn't make me want to give them my business. I'm glad they're nice guys, but sheesh.

Zebulon's new post just makes them look that much worse.

In the end, as long as there is more than one place to buy harps one the internet, I'm going to give my business to the vendors that treat their customers as well as I try to treat mine.

I will repeat my experience with Harp House. I ordered a harp that they said was available. They got back to me a couple of days later to tell me that they had made a mistake, that it was not available, would I like to purchase something else or simply cancel my order. I canceled my order without any problem. They also apologized.

Then three months later, out of the blue, I won $450 worth of merchandise in their summer giveaway, simply because I was still in their database.

THAT'S how to compete when the customer has excellent information.

Ken