[Harp-L] Tom Ball avoids windscreens like the plague

A question re those microphone foam pop filters/windscreens that has been bouncing around my head for years -- Once on Harp-L our esteemed fellow poster, Tom Ball, stated that he avoids windscreens "like the plague".? Whenever i see a performer using them for vocals, I wonder -- specifically, what detrimental effects are caused by adding a windscreen to a microphone?
ron