Re: [Harp-L] Tom Ball avoids windscreens like the plague

Michael Rogers wrote:
<I use a windscreen, when I am playing guitar, as I'm blind and it helps
<me to stay centered by brushing my nose against it.  But I don't use it
<when playing harp, as it seems to cut the highs down.  Maybe this is
<just my perception.

Bullfrog is correct. A foam windscreen filters out a lot of high frequencies. This is why recording engineers use a fine nylon mesh screen (in a pinch, a nylon stocking stretched over a wire frame made from a coat hanger) positioned an inch or so in front of the mic as a "pop" filter, rather than a foam windscreen.

Regards, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com
harmonica blog at http://myspace.com/richardhunterharp
Latest mp3s always at http://broadjam.com/rhunter