[Harp-L] Do It Yourself EQ Education

It's the same scenario I experience with selling a gourmet food tapenade
condiment. At shows, I offer a sample on a cracker.

People ask "What can I do with this besides putting it on crackers?"

I run down a list of ways to use the tapenade - on salmon filets, tossed
with pasta, in a salad, mixed with tuna fish, etc.

Sometimes I suggest they use their experience and imagination, playing with
it in their own kitchens.

The point is, there is no rule and no definitive answer, but people still
ask for something to tell them what to do - the same could be related to asking
about amp settings and EQ's. They will take someone else's recipe as a
starting  point. Unfortunately, most rely on someone else's recipe rather than
learning to  apply the variables to their own life experiences and come up with a
more  personal understanding - perhaps the fear of doing something "wrong" or
missing out on what is "the best". Both those concepts are illusions (in most
cases), by the way.

Harmonica EQ? Take your equipment and sit for an afternoon twiddling knobs
and really listening to what happens to the sound. Sustain a note for 30
seconds  and slowly turn one knob from 0 - 11 (Spinal Tap Movie). Pay attention to
what  happens to the sound. Begin to decide what you like and don't like and
learn to  control what you don't like out of the sound - you're the one who owns
all those  knobs to tweedle.

The Iceman
www.OliveAffairs.com

In a message dated 3/25/2008 1:49:35 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,