Re: [Harp-L] EQ'ing for harp

I haven't tried this drill on a vocal PA yet, but I learned it from Mark Burness for setting harp amplifier EQ. Works better with two people: Take an A or G diatonic. Play a sustained 2Dbb bend and have the other person turn the bass up till the note sounds as full as it can get-- you'll notice a point where it stops getting any fuller and simply gets muddy, turn back to where it was full. Then use 3D bends to set the middle knob--turn it up till the bends start jumping out and projecting well, try some hand wahs to make sure. Don't go too far on the knob, just needs to be to where those bends/wahs start to project well. Then play a sustained 4D to set the treble knob: If you go too high on the treble, you'll hear the note start to turn lispy or feed back; back it down if that happens. Play a snippet at full performance volume to make sure your settings work--you can go over the individual knob limits again if you want--but this approach will help you zone in on the maximum usable amount of each band. Obviously it will work with a cupped mic straight into a SS PA, and I think you could get in close on a vocal mic on a stand and use a version of this drill--you can see how it checks the full range of the harp and will be OK for higher or lower keys.

Stephen Schneider