Re: [Harp-L] chromatic - playing in all keys

Third position on chromatic has a nice fat chordal basis, as do first, second, and third positions on diatonic, so there's a strong comfort level in playing that way.

I agree that playing blues in multiple keys is a lot of fun. The current series of my column at harmonicasessions.com:

http://harmonicasessions.com/feb08/Yerxa.html

shows how easy it can be to play blues in B on chromatic, with just one slide-in note - F#.

The series will continue through E, A, and, all using the slide, then move on to other keys.

Winslow

"G. E. Popenoe" <gpopenoe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote: As a chromatic player, I'd like to respectfully challenge those of you
who play blues to try using the instrument's full capabilities. I've
noticed that some players will buy a different chromatic for almost
every key. That makes them very expensive diatonics.

I know that some players use chromatics in this way to get a specific
sound and that's great. However, I've played chromatic in blues bands
playing all keys on one C chromatic just as I would in jazz. This has
opened up opportunities to be more sax like in phrasing.

When I mic it through my Rivera , the distinction between the sound of
the chromatic and the usual diatonics is blurred.

If you are concerned about the challenges of mastering scales on the
instrument, I would recommend the baby steps approach. Start with the
open keys (keys with few slide fingerings). These often are good blues
keys as well.

D - no slide
E- two slide fingerings.
G-one slide fingering