Re: [Harp-L] Re: chromatic - playing in all keys

On Mar 26, 2008, at 9:11 PM, Robert Bonfiglio wrote:

If you wish to play in every key, one can always come to a seminar.

For me, it wouldn't be logical. The average age for a white male in the U.S. (born when 'I' was) is 79.5
Now using my 'Leone's system of 2/3 vs 1 1/2, this means that 53 would be my 'cutoff' age. I feel that anyone who hasn't made it by 53 should really re-assess their situation. (pssst, I'm 65)

Sooo, given the above, why would I waste your time. I noticed that you did use the word 'come' in reference to a seminar in lieu of 'go' to a seminar, so I would imagine that you are referring to YOUR seminar. I respect you too much to waste your time.

I am one who basically believes in one chromatic in C.

That's good. I don't see the need to weld myself. I'm kinda a free spirit that way. ANOTHER reason I would make a poor student. Besides, I read but am NOT a sight reader.

That said, if you wish to get certain chords, or certain patterns in D minor, C minor, E minor, G or F Major, you should choose those patterns. Always choose the easiest way to play something so that you can concentrate on emotion and not technique.

Yeah, I prefer emotion IF the tune has emotion. If it is fast, I'm lucky to manage technique.

Change the key of the song

And yet there are purists who think it's sacrilege to change the original key of a tune just as there are those who feel that everything must be played on a C chromo. Which is cool, if that's what you prefer.

to facilitate using those patterns not only because harmonicas are expensive, but also to get you more familiar with the patterns of one instrument.

See, the way I see it is that it's just as easy to play D on a G chromo as it is to play D on a C chromo, or F on an F chromo. Now where you wind up is another story. There are those whose ears are so tuned that when they switch chromos, they get a little confused. I never understood that as I switch diatonics all the time and don't see a problem. Does it only happen to strictly chromo players OR is maybe playing both the key to NOT getting confused?

I don't know as I am not a virtuoso. But I feel that sometimes it's not good for one's ears to be TOO refined. I sometimes use 3 diatonics on a tune, AND how does one explain the multiple tremellos used by our Oriental cousins?

This way if there are more complicated chords or key areas in a song, or if it modulates, you still have one instrument and you expanded your technique.

Yes, I LIKE that. I think I will experiment with that.

If you stop thinking of positions and start thinking of keys by practicing the scales and arpeggios in D minor, C minor, E minor, G or F Major, this will be a big first step toward freedom.

I never think of positions but I have used it to explain things because most on this list understand positions. I prefer to call them 'key fingering patterns', and while a long explanation, it does seem (to me, at least), to explain what it is. After all. you ARE using your finger to actuate the slide....more or less like a trumpet valve.

smokey-joe & the Cafe s (mining the minors at La Parilla Argentine steak house & Tango palace.)
Where: you and your date can have a steak and a bottle of wine and even take Tango lessons. You'll laugh, you'll cry. You'll kiss $95 bucks goodbye.

Harmonically yours,

Robert Bonfiglio

http://www.robertbonfiglio.com