[Harp-L] Chromatic

In theory, we should all learn to play in all 12 keys -- especially on the
chromatic where we don't have to worry about bends and overblows. But most of
us don't have that kind of time.

As I have taught many people to play chromatic, I disagree highly. If you don't try to bite off more than you can chew, you could practice one scale, AND ONLY ONE SCALE, for a whole week with it's arpeggio and in 24 weeks you would know all major and minor scales.

Even if we understand the layout of the chromatic harmonica and music
theory and how it relates to the harmonica and can sight read -- at half speed or
less -- our way through some standard pop tunes, we soon realize the
limitations of the C chromatic. While in theory the C chromatic can "play" in all
keys; it is no piano and it really can't.

Part of this statement is true, the chromatic is no piano, the harmonica can crescendo, have vibrato, change tonal colors, bend notes and do all kinds of things the piano can't. It CAN play it all the keys and depending on the piece, very odd keys may lie better with a certain piece than others, well, just like the piano.

As Winslow already astutely pointed out, a key like B Major might have some really cool advantages for a certain piece, like playing the 2nd and the 7th, B and A together.

Harmonically yours,

Robert Bonfiglio
http://www.robertbonfiglio.com