RE: [Harp-L] overblow techs

One more time for clarity, and an update to what I'm doing-

I'm not out of the game, I'm just not accepting orders. Right now I'm enjoying life with my lovely new wife (who is very supportive of my harmonica antics), and also doing some home remodeling. When I'm finished with current orders, I'll continue to build "custom" harmonicas as time permits, because I enjoy doing it. In a few months, instead of taking orders, I'll begin selling what I have finished on hand. Also, beginning this year all of my harps now feature geometrically optimized reedwork, doing everything better including overbending, whether or not the customer is even aware of it. I've finally isolated some hidden parameters that unknowingly made some of my past harps especially better than others, and developed techniques/skills to insure that they are present in all current and future harps. I don't differentiate between overblow and non-overblow harmonicas.

Optimized geometry is not likely, and IMO impossible, to intentionally or at least consistantly occur on an out of the box harp. It is much too precise, a very fine line to walk even when doing it by hand. Some reed designs/materials just happen to be better at compensating for inefficiencies than others, making out-of-the-box overbends managable with good technique on some harmonicas. It also made it easy in the past to emboss and gap a harp and have it turn out great most of the time, mostly by luck. Try that on your late model Hohner and see how you like it- the luck is running out. Optimized geometry is a whole different atmosphere to play with, and more things are possible for those with the desire to explore them. I have a few customers out there with these in their hands and they are enjoying them very, very much.

It's obvious that there is much more work to do than there are competent technicians with advanced understanding. At some point in the future I intend to teach others the systematic process that I've developed, with nothing intentionally held back. I'd like to help others help themselves if they're capable and interested, preventing them wasting years of precious time away from life figuring it out as I have. This may be in the form of harmonica seminars, personal lessons, or possibly via my website eventually. Perhaps I could offer a test and certification process of some sort for future techs. If there is keen interest in this, I'd like to hear your ideas.

I'll also mention here that when Suzuki comes out with the long-slot diatonic, I'll likely be working with their harmonicas when not using NOS Marine Bands (I don't enjoy working with Hohner's current reeds). I recently recieved special jigs from Suzuki enabling one to easily replace their fused reeds, and I plan to do pro setup and tuning on these harps without extensive modifications. I think that from a time and money standpoint, the availability of a "blueprinted" stock harmonica with corrected reed geometry (as much as practical without reed replacement) would be a smart thing for most players seeking something better than out-of-the-box.

Best regards,
Joe Spiers
http://www.spiersharmonicas.com