[Harp-L] Re: Questions questions,,

BL wrote: "... this mic Butterfield uses, the Shure '545', with 'pistol-grip',,what is the point of carrying around the heavy-a** grip, along with the mic? Was there some advantage to having the 'grip', other than the ability to attach it to some stand, which he never seems to do anyway? Or was it just a cool look?"

Remember, that pistol grip part is where the on/off switch is - I would be willing to bet Butter made great use of that switch, being that he was playing a high-output mic into powerful, feedback-prone amp in a very loud setting.

545S mics pop up on ebay pretty frequently. If you ever get one, make sure to have it rewired internally for hi-z (a very simple mod). The first one I had was set lo-z. Initially, I used it with a lo-to-hi z transformer but it's NOT the same; the mic really came alive after I had a tech switch it to hi-z internally (and put a quarter-inch plug on the cord).

It's funny, I've heard more than once about how heavy the 545S is, but I've played one on and off for years and it never ever struck me as heavy or difficult to hold or play. YMMV.

MN
How well do you know your celebrity gossip?
http://originals.msn.com/thebigdebate?ocid=T002MSN03N0707A