To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, March 28, 2008 5:40 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Jam Tracks

Ohio Ken wrote:
I recently bought Steve Baker's Vol 1, 2, and 3 Playalong books and CD's http://www.musicroom.com/Search/gsearch.aspx?searchtext=steve+baker

Steve Baker's jam tracks are the only ones I use. I recommend them very highly.

The band plays with great swing and exhuberance and the grooves are terrific. Most jam tracks are boring and academic, but not these boogers. I've tried many jam tracks in the past, but most of them drained the energy out of my practice routine. These tracks continue to be fun to play with, and my ideas flow because I feel good.

Steve Baker's jam tracks are the ones to buy.

I never understand why they give the guitar player a solo in jam tracks. If you use tracks over and over again you're forced to listen to the same damn solos over and over too, and no matter how good they are, they have no business getting in the middle of my holy practice time. Even Baker's tracks contain this inconvenience. Fortunately, in the age of Aquarius it's easy to edit that stuff out.

I excised the solos and then lengthened the tracks considerably for good luck, and because I could.

If you're not whiny like me you don't even have to do that.

Note: I cracked the book for one second and never have listened to the actual tunes as played by Mr. Baker, but I'll bet they'd be good stuff for the whippersnappers to study.

California Ken