Re: [Harp-L] Demistifying Chromatics

There is probably a far simplier reason for the chromatic solo tuning layout.

The idea is to make each module of an octave   identical.

In the key a C solo tuned harmonica, this means merely the first C of the
octave is 1 blow and the first D is 1 draw; the end C of the octave is 4 blow and
the B is 4 draw. It starts over again at hole 5 and repeats. As everybody
knows:

blow          C   E   G   C
hole No.s   1   2   3   4
draw          D   F A   B

For the player, this means that he/she can play the same notes in each octave
with the same breath pattern, unlike the 10-hole diatonic, which changes in
each octave.   For the piano, EVERY   octave is already identical, regardless
of key. It was designed that way. And pattern of 2 black keys and 3 black keys
make it easy to move up and down the keyboard without getting lost.

One reason that diatonic players can make the switch to chromatic is that the
module of holes 4-7 on the diatonic are identical to the modules on the
chromatic.

People who get confused about the chromatic layout are those who expect it to
follow the same layout of the diatonic first octave -- which lacks the F and
A (easily added by bends).

To play a chromatic that retains the Richter diatonic layout, one must use a
Koch or Hohner Slide Harp chromatic which makes all the notes available but
the A in the first octave available with/without the button.

And if you are following patterns, you might check out the major scale, which
has a full step between each note (those black notes on a piano in C) except
for E-F and B-C. This is the pattern the piano keyboard has if you start at
any C to C octave.

There might be one problem is playing keys a half-step higher than CDEFGAB by
playing the "natural" note scale and holding the button in -- when you run
into an accidental, you have to remember to RELEASE the button.

But if it works for you fine.

To me, it sounds like more work for little gain.   But my approach is
different than most on the harp list.

People who play only the chromatic may find this method great.

I play a little piano (not enough to interfere with my harmonica attempts)
and if I want to play a flat or sharp I just play the note below (flat) or above
(sharp). With the chromatic, EVERYTHING is a sharp. (Unless you have an
altered harmonica.)

So even if you play a flat, you have to mentally convert that into a sharp. I
know, I know, most people don't have any trouble thinking of Bb as A# or Eb
at D# and this is one of the adjustments chromatic players make all the time.

God knows there is more than one way to understand and explain the best way
to play the chromatic and the more the better.

Phil Lloyd