From: Michael Polesky, MPA <m.polesky@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Ray Tankersley
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thursday, November 6, 2008, 11:14 AM

Hi All,

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Stryker"
<tstryker1@xxxxxxxxx>
> Ray Tankersley, an original Harmonica Rascal and tireless supporter of the
> harmonica passed away October 27th, 2008  He was 87 years old and is
> survived by his daughter Barbara and son Brad.  His wife Margie died some
> years ago. Ray appeared prominently, playing harmonica, in the movie
"Always
> In My Heart" and others
>
> Ray was a music educator, member of "Big Harp," and the
"Sharp Harp." His
> harmonica credits and harmonica life are well detailed in Al Smith's
recent
> book "Confessions of Harmonica Addicts."
>
> To me personally, this is a great loss as I have known Ray for 53 years
and
> he is the one who taught me harmonica and responsible for my harmonica
> musical career.  He started teaching me when I was 15 in San Francisco..oh
> how long ago, lol.
>
> He will be remembered.

I just wanted to chime in about what a class act Ray Tankersley was.  I have
fond memories of Ray consistently encouraging me to get as much joy out of the
harmonica as I could possibly get.  Ray gave me the chance to fulfill my fantasy
of playing at SPAH opening the show for the Saturday night banquet a few years
ago in his harmonica orchestra.  Even more importantly, he helped amass a large
library of music that he played and recorded with his student, Cynthia
Dusel-Bacon.  They played as a duet showing off Ray's genius for the
harmonica as Cynthia played the moving lead part on her hands free harmonica
(Vern Smith).  Their duo was very special and a great testament to Ray's
commitment to music education.

With Ray's consent, I inherited his seat in the duo with Cynthia just this
year - since Ray couldn't make it to SPAH.  It was a great honor and I have
a lot to live up to.  I definitely idolize what Ray accomplished over his
lifetime and would be happy if I did half as much over mine.  Ray will
definitely be remembered.

Michael