Re: [Harp-L] Re: Gregoire Maret

You could do worse than check out Olivier Ker-Ourio.

La Javanaise with Sylvain Luc is a good start: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3QdMNtEwH8 although it may not seem like it's displaying his jazz chops (though the tone is awesome...)

Many more examples on his website: http://www.kerourio.com/

I like Maret's playing especially his contribution to Charlie Hunter's Right Now Move, although I will say that that has just as much if not more to do with hunter himself and his writing. Where I find Maret a tad weak is on tone, which is somewhat bland to my ears.

Benoit
I would also like to endorse Gregorie Maret. Not only is he playing with some big jazz names, but he has the chops to match. The album I found that showcases him best is:

Andy Milne & Grégoire Maret - Scenarios

Which is on itunes for a start.

There are a few harp players playing really well in traditional jazz idioms up to bop, but I haven't heard anyone else who is so strong in post-bop jazz, except maybe Chris Michalek on Monk Alters Chi. Anyone got any other suggestions? Remember I am looking for top level post-bop jazz with harmonica, NOT top level harmonica playing weakish jazz, or the players of older styles - there there are Toots, Larry and many others.

Richard Hammersley Grantshouse, Scottish Borders http://www.last.fm/music/Richard+Hammersley http://www.myspace.com/rhammersley http://www.myspace.com/magpiesittingdown