Re: Octaves WAS [Harp-L] PT Gazell is the man

"steve warner" wrote:
<I just love the 3 hole tongue block draw octaves, but to my ears it seems
<those who I know for a fact that use the 1896 Marine Band, they just seem to
<get a better sounding octave that's fuller and fatter in that register.
<What I'm talking about has nothing to do with the player because I hear
<virtuoso players who don't use the 1896 and they just don't seem to have
<that fat sounding octave.  Musslewhite is one grand master who doesn't get
<that fat octave like I'm talking about.   You understand what Im saying,
<right?

An octave by definition is two notes played simultaneously where one note is either double or half the frequency of the other--for example, middle C played simultaneously with the nearest higher or lower C.  Since the only octaves on a diatonic harp are located either 4 holes or 5 holes apart (i.e., the blow octaves all the way up and down and the draw octaves starting at the 3-7 split), what is a "3 hole tongue block octave"?

Do you mean a 4-hole octave where 3 holes are blocked by the tongue, e.g. draw 1-2-3-4 where 1-2-3 are tongue blocked?  Or do you mean a chord, as opposed to an octave?

Thanks, Richard Hunter