From: steve warner <10reedsbent@xxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, November 15, 2008 10:58:40 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] calling tongue block benders

Hi Frank,
Hittin' octaves are easy, but it's that flutter sound I'm after.  To my ears
it's like an advanced octave.  I think I haven't been explaining myself
properly and the fact that my practice harps are slightly out of tune may
have been the culprit now that I'm really digging back into the harp for the
first time in over 2 years.

Now that my lungs and head is clear, a funny think happened Sat. afternoon
after my ears popped several times from that head cold that was going
around...... I went digging into my big harp case for the harps I don't use
for practice,  I grabbed a rarely used 7 year old Lee Oskar G, an unused
1923 Hering C, a BLues Harp A, C and several slightly used Special 20's in
various keys and they all had that beautiful octave where the flutter was
starting to sound on the blows.  That's what I'm after "ala William
Clarke".  Now most of these harps  were the harps that I regapped  before my
divorce over 2 years ago, so  I'm beginning to think that some harps aren't
tuned just right from factory  The blow octaves are easy, but the ones I'm
really concentrating on are the draw octaves and with these harps nearly all
were accomplished up to the 5/9.  6/10's are a little stiff and shrill
except the low low keys.  Hitting them just right with proper air to get
that draw octave flutter I will soon have down fluently.

thanks

.

--
steve