Re: [Harp-L] history

Dempster wrote:

What about the 'Richter scale' then? ...C D E G G C, I suppose; certainly an earth-shaker in this territory!

The "Richter scale" or "Richter tuning" is found on most traditional harmonica types, including Richter diatonic, Weiner (usually tremolo, but also octave) and Knittlinger (the more common octave harp, such as the Auto-Valve) and their variants. It is also the basis for most diatonic accordion tunings, bisonorous concertinae tunings (Bandoneons, Chemnitzers, Anglos or Anglo-German). As far as I can tell it has no recorded origin, but was adopted at about the same time in these various bisonorous (ie, different notes on blow/draw, push/pull) free-reed instruments. It may have originated in the German speaking parts of Central Europe (the name "Anglo-German" for the concertina based on this system may be significant here).

There is no contemporary evidence that someone named "Richter" or "Joseph Richter" came up with it for harmonica or any of these other instruments.

 ()()    JR "Bulldogge" Ross
()  ()
`----'