[Harp-L] RE: web site...

The email address for posting to Harp-L is above.

I heard Gregoire with Herbie's band last night. Only half the show, as I
had to go to another gig across London (Charlie Musselwhite).

Amazing musicians, but I feel they were out of touch with the
comprehension of most people. Every tune featured polyrhythms so complex
that it was virtually impossible to tell where the '1' was, or feel any
groove at all, and the soloing was all very long and essentially atonal.
There was very little melody in the way of a head. It felt like a
barrage of sound most of the time, with no perceivable structure.

Herbie proudly announced they were going to do a tune in 17/8, but
honestly it sounded exactly like the others that came before. If you
heard some Bulgarians playing in 17, you would really FEEL the groove of
it, but last night it was just a mess, as far as I could hear.

However,  the musicians did know where they were because every so often
they hit an accent or horn line perfectly in time. It was very
admirable, but no fun to listen to. Gregoire played well in that
context, though the harmonica sounded a bit small in the mix. He can
have it!

Brendan Power
WEBSITE: http://www.brendan-power.com
YOUTUBE: http://www.youtube.com/BrendanPowerMusic