Re: [Harp-L] Reality check?

Good comments - I'd be curious to find out how the diversified avenues
actually add to the artist's bottom line and if it is enough to make up for  larger
lost or diminished revenues - for example, a poster revued the Jason  Ricci
gig on a Thur night at a blues club in Jacksonville that drew a crowd of  about
4 people. Certainly if this is being duplicated across the country, there
will be a lot less paying gigs for these artists as the club owner will quickly
total up cost paid for entertainment (usually a minimum of $100/man for these
 acts) minus the 4 paying customers (ticket at the door and/or drinks/food
consumed) equals big loss in revenue for the night.

As to on line lessons, telephone lessons, customized work, I've found that,
while you may pick up some new students via the internet or customizing jobs,
it  doesn't sustain itself (new students taking a lesson or two and then
vanishing -  custom harmonica ordered but not constantly renewable orders from each
 individual).

What are the hard cold bottom line numbers?

Myself, I'm working my gourmet food business and trying to swim upstream
against negative economic factors - luckily, in hard times, people do turn to
comfort foods and everyone has to eat, so there is a lot of promise for me as
long as I don't get in my own way and screw it up (as I've had a history of
doing). The music and teaching I do is more for fun and a little extra spending
money than anything really substantial these days, as opposed to two years
ago  when the gigs were about 7/month each paying $100 and I could count on it.

In a message dated 11/24/2008 9:55:54 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,