Re: [Harp-L] Reality check?

When I hear about bands that want to play more the first thing I think of is are they playing what the people want to hear. There are 2 choices. One play original and hope you will be lucky enough to be successful and second to play covers. If your in the first group it is a very tough road and I wish you well and lots of success but it will probably take many years and not much money on the way if you are even in the few that make it big. If you are in the second group you have to decide to either play what you want and not play very often as most of the time it isn't what the large group of people want to hear a steady diet of. Or play what most people like and play more often and make more money. I love playing blues but it really isn't what most people want a steady diet of. What I have found is people want to dance and sing to oldies that they remember from the past. Now this is not necessarily for the young people, except for fraternity parties, but for the most part the older people have more money and can afford to hire you for private events, fundraisers, anniversary's, birthday's, retirement etc. kind of parties. And they will pay more than bars.

I can tell you that while all in my band have real jobs the music is our passion and being fun on stage transmits fun to the audience. We do lots of oldies but what gets us most booking events is our Jimmy Buffett music. We play 80-90 gig a year and each year it has been growing. While we can't make a living doing it, we get to play and make more money than most bands that play for fun. If you haven't been to a Jimmy Buffett Concert you need to go to one as there are people of all ages there just dressing up funny and having fun. It's a happening. And he fills the venues he plays. Must mean a lot of people want to hear his music.

So in closing I would say look for a niche in the music scene. The Blues Brothers you mentioned is one and I'm sure there are others. We found one to fill in our area of the country so look what's around and not being filled where you live. There are still opportunities out there. This is America, land of opportunity.

Bob "The Captain" Boyd
Texas Tide Band
www.texastide.com
210-494-1118

So, here we are on a harmonica list, 2000 strong, debating what we like and
what we don't. However, who is doing well in the real world pursuing music -
with or without the harmonica - beyond a hobby? Rob P is gigging steadily
(perhaps not as steadily as before) because he was well entrenched for years in
the scene and works a lot of reunion type shows of already established music
(ie - BS&T and maybe Blues Bros type shows).

Locally, I've been gigging a lot less w/smooth jazz r/b unit as
opportunities are drying up and/or the pay is decreasing. The few dedicated students I
have are sticking with it, but new students are few and far between as the cost
of lessons are not as affordable as they used to be.

The landscape is changing rapidly and I'm curious as to who is doing well
and what the new directions may be. Those blazing new trails on the diatonic
have fun with posting youtube videos (for free) and enjoy the strokes received
by comments (for free).

What do you see in your future crystal balls?