RE: [Harp-L] Reality check?

I struggle with this question a lot too.
One side of me says that I have ideas, that I've turned them into songs and
that I should own them/appreciate them/promote them and so on.
The other side "gets off" on the sorts of experiences you described with the
Oldies bands and suggests that connecting with other people is what music is
all about.
The market obviously tilts toward what the audience wants and I can't
imagine humanity evolved enough to have custom allow for a musician's
creativity once he has "given the people what they want".
 (harp content???)  I find myself trying to sneak harp into cover songs
where there wasn't any in the original.
Sometimes, as in Eric Burdon's take onSee See Rider, the band will allow it.
But when I tried to get the lead guitarist to trade off riffs at the end of
ZZ Top's La Grange, I was politely told that there wasn't a harp in the
original and that the band tried to play it "just like the record".
In a huff, I inwardly asked no one... "What, pray tell, is at all original
about that song?"..., but fortunately, that one never made it out to the
level of public scrutiny... (Until now, right?)
It seems that creativity would only be honored within a system of patronage,
and, as you pointed out earlier, with the economy imploding and the word of
the day being caution, I don't think we'd better hold our collective breaths
waiting on that well-moneyed patron...
Brad (Somewhere between See See and ZZ) Trainham