Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 17:59:27 -0800 (PST)
From: David  Payne <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] My way to  research the history of a harmonica
and/or the     harmonica in general
To: Harp L Harp L <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>

This  does bring up a point of why I am getting reluctant to post things on
Harp-L,  which I imagine brings cheers from some. That was a very long post I
typed,  mostly for the archives, so if somebody wants to start learning about
harp history, they can have somewhere to start. It was about how you can look
at  a box and understand the manufacturers targeted audience, etc. and look at
 patents to determine what they had in mind with the designs.
That post lay  fallow since Nov. 12. That's OK. It was meant for the
archives. But then, weeks  later, it resurfaces with one line picked out of it to say
"Wait a minute,  you can wash the entire Hohner line except the Marine Band
and Blues  Harp."  The washable lines I wrote were to say that it was a point
Magnus was using as a selling point.

Both the 1847 Silver and Mangus  are/were advertised as washable. Do the Big
River, Special 20, Golden  Melody, etc. have rivets that will corrode if you
leave them in a water bath?  Yes, they all do. That's why they aren't
advertised as washable. But  you can wash whatever you want. I've washed plenty of
Marine Bands in my  day.
Dave Payne Sr.
Elk River  Harmonicas
www.elkriverharmonicas.com