Re: [Harp-L] summertime...a version

On Oct 1, 2008, at 3:59 PM, Richard Hunter wrote:

Smo-Joe wrote:
<Tunes like Georgia should be done on diatonic
<Tunes like Summertime........................chromo

I dunno. I've heard some pretty hot versions of Summertime on the diatonic. I usually play this piece in 3rd position on a standard diatonic, sometimes 2nd position on a natural minor.

I have never used a minor diatonic.

I had the opportunity to play it solo on the diatonic in 3rd position at Jon Gindick's jam camp in September 2007, where I was one of the coaches, and it seemed to go over pretty well with that audience.

True, but then look who was playing :) There are DAM* few players that I could listen to for a full album. You happen to be one of them. Even Stevie & Toots don't qualify.

It sounds great on a chromatic too, and as I've said before, if you want to break somebody's heart, just play a ballad on the chromatic--all that sad beauty is just overwhelming.

Yeah, talk to me, I hear ya.

But what can I say? Sometimes you just feel like throwing down on a blues harp. Even on Gershwin.

I can dig it. I would have spliced 'Bess, You is my Woman', 'Ole Man River' or 'Deep River' into my version at a fest IF I could have gotten the band to go over it with me BEFOREhand. Aw well, se la vie.
smokey-joe

Regards, Richard Hunter latest mp3s and harmonica blog at http://myspace.com/richardhunterharp