Re: [Harp-L] Summertime on A Diatonic

Michael Rubin correctly points out that starting this tune on the 6 draw on a standard tuned diatonic is playing in 3rd position.

John Potts stated that he always plays this in 5th position.  That's a bit tough on standard tuning.  In 5th position on a standard tuned diatonic, let's see - on a C harp, the song would be in E, the starting note would be the 5th scale degree, = B, = 7 draw.  It's pretty simple until you get to the end of the second line ("high"), which requires an F#.  This means you either need to overblow the 5 hole, or play a country tuned harp (which is a good idea, although there seems to be a lot of breath reversals and hole jumps vs the other options).

But if I'm going to grab an alternate tuned harp, I'm with Richard Hunter and would grab a Natural Minor. In fact, the only time I played this when I really needed to do it right, that's what I used.  Richard said he played the NM in 2nd.  However, when I did it I started on the 6 blow.  This means I actually was playing it in "1st" position (4 blow root).  Tim Moyer and others may rightly cringe at my use of positions when discussing alternate tunings, so let me just leave it as "starting on the 6 blow".  If Richard played in "2nd" position, he would start on the 4 draw.  Then the first line is a piece of cake.  The end of the second line requires a 3-single at the end (not bad, particularly on a NM with the smaller draw-blow interval).  Then on "Hush" a 2-double.  Again, not toooo bad.  But in "1st" position (6-blow start), no bends anywhere.  It's cleaner, although you probably loose a lot of expressiveness vs. "2nd" position.  I'm
 guessing Richard chose 2nd to get some tasty bends and scoops from that.  (This paragraph refers to NM tuning).

George Brooks rightly extolls the layout of the tune in 4th position.using standard tuning.  There's quite a few pesky 3-doubles in there to cover the root, most notably the last note of the song.  (George is such a master of good bending intonation, it's not such a problem for him.)  However, note that even in 3rd position, you still have to hit that 3-double at a few critical junctures.   So both 3rd and 4th pos require some precision bending on a standard tuned harp.  I'm thinking 3rd might be a lttle more expressive, with a few more bendable draw notes to be played, but hey, what do I know about that.  In any case, a good song for checking your progress on clean, precise bending in either of those positions.

So to Summer-ize:
Regular tuning: 3rd or 4th (critical 3-double required), or 5th with an o/b
Country tuning: "5th" w/o bends
Natural Minor Tuning: "1st" w/o bends, or "2nd" with minimal (?) bends

Or if your a real masochist, you can try it in 2nd pos with standard tuning (start on 4 draw).  Talk about a reality check of your bending skills!  For me, I'll stick with NM/1st starting on the 6-blow for now.
Fred S