To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, October 02, 2008 5:58 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Summertime on A Diatonic

Fred - nice survey of the various positions for this piece. I spent a few minutes last night and this morning on the way to work playing Summertime in positions 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 on a "regular" tuned diatonic. Here are my impressions on each position, listed in order of my preference from favorite to least favorite:

3rd - My favorite for this tune. The hole 3 bends don't bother me that much. However, I once was in a band that played this tune, and I always did it in 3rd position on a chromatic instead of a diatonic.

4th - I had not tried this tune in 4th but got it pretty easily... no objections to the bent tonic. The head is easy enough in 4th, but I would have an easier time improving over the changes in 3rd though... guess that means I need to practice 4th more.

5th - The blow/draw patterns seem a little unusual, and this is coming from a player who really likes 5th position. Also, the 5OB was pretty prominent, and I didn't make it sound very good.

2nd - Not much trouble playing the notes, but tough to make them sound musical and consistent with all the bends.

1st - Yikes, my technique (or lack thereof) on the 4OB was a deal killer for me. I'm sure the NM tuning would work better.

-Rusty