[Harp-L] Specification of and Sources for Harp Reed Materials

Is there any specification of harp reed materials (outside of the
trade secrets of each manufacturer)? If so, are there commercial
sources for the materials in limited (hobbyist) quantities?

Please DON'T suggest the current harp manufacturers. I am aware
that both Hohner and Seydel will provide individual reeds for a price.
I'm also aware that their prices are astronomically LOWER than the
cost of creating the tools to make my own reeds, and probably lower
than the mere cost of the material in the reeds because of the
economies of scale of a large manufacturer.

I'm still curious, even if I never make the first reed. Indulge me,
please. I know from the Harp-L archives that several people have made
their own replacement reeds from a variety of sources and materials.
I also know that Brad Harrison is gearing up to produce his own brand
of harmonicas based on his own unique reed design. How did he arrive
at his choice of reed materials?

(Let's talk about ANYTHING except comb materials!)

Thanks for any and all help!
Crazy (obviously) Bob