Re: [Harp-L] Specification of and Sources for Harp Reed Materials

Good spring materials make good reeds.

Mark's Handbook for Mechanical Engineers has a section that includes brass and bronze as well as steel and stainless steel spring materials. It gives the properties that affect the use as springs/reeds... modulus of elasticity, density, and strength.

Trade secrets of manufacturers are over-rated. If anyone were really curious, a mass spectrometer analysis would give the percentages of each metal in any reed alloy. Standard polish, etch, and microscope examination would reveal the amount of work hardening.

I have used shim stock obtained from http://www.mcmaster.com/ You want thickness of .012" brass/bronze or .014" SS in the rolled or work hardened condition. "Half-hard" is a typical spec for copper alloy material.

Reeds are very difficult to make. I found it necessary to make special machines for the purpose. The width, non-linear tapering thickness, length, and the location of the rivet/screw hole on the centerline all must be held to tolerances of about +0.000 -0.0005" You know from tuning how sensitive the pitch is to tiny changes in thickness. If you are interested in making the machines for making reeds, email me off list and I can share my experience with you.

I once expected to use exotic reed materials to make exotic harmonica sounds. I was disappointed. I experimented with brass, bronze, beryllium-copper, spring steel, and stainless steel. If the pitch and the stiffness/responsiveness of two reeds is the same, they will sound the same even if they are made of different materials. I can engage in a long discussion about why this is so but you wouldn't like it because it would sound a lot like the discussion about comb materials. I think that the only benefit from using better materials might be resistance to fatigue. Beryllium copper might have better fatigue properties but it is brittle and easy to break while gapping.

Small differences in alloying materials don't have much effect on the metal properties that affect reed performance. I am very skeptical of any claim that a "magic formula" will produce any meaningful improvement in copper-alloy reed performance. There is no reason why the best alloy would not have been discovered and put to use long ago.

I applaud Seydel for bringing out a line of SS reed harps. I think it likely that they are less subject to fatigue. I love Seydel harps and the folks who make them but I think that they are on very thin ice in claiming a characteristic SS tone.

The cost of the materials is not a significant factor in making reeds. The cost of machining them is. SS is more costly than copper alloys because it is harder, tougher, and causes more tool wear.

Vern
Visit my harmonica website www.Hands-Free-Chromatic.7p.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Coble" <robertpcoble@xxxxxxxxxxx>