Re: Fw: [Harp-L] 2nd position only useful in blues? was changes inlattitudes

Charlie McCoy does not use country tuned harps (with the 5 draw raised) all the time. His website states which harps he plays on what records. It's been awhile since I looked, but as I recall he uses special tunings less than half the time.

While second position is not for everyone, it seems to be very popular as a primary playing position in a far wider area than the blues, even when its default scale doesn't fit the underlying chords or scales. Some players are very good at getting around this fact by discretion and note substitution, even without using overblows, valves, etc.

Then again, not everyone has to follow a path just because it's widely traveled.

Winslow

Winslow Yerxa