Re: [Harp-L] RE: Suzuki Welded Reed/00-90 screws

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joe and Cass Leone" <leone@xxxxxxxx>
To: "Harvey Berman" <cscharp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, October 10, 2008 10:35 AM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] RE: Suzuki Welded Reed/00-90 screws

On Oct 10, 2008, at 2:07 AM, Harvey Berman wrote:

My problem is that the hole is not centered in the slot. It is offset .0045 in. to the right. It looks like all the welds on my Suzuki are done the same way. I do not understand why they did that.

I don't think it was intentional. I believe that the tooling jig is showing wear.

I agree that it wasn't intentional.

However, punch/die wear doesn't change the locations of the holes and slots relative to each other. The edges of the holes and slots begin to develop burrs and tears as the square, sharp edges of the tools round off.

If all of the holes are off the slot centerlines by the same amount, it is probable that they used different punches for the slots and the holes. The registration of the part in the punching machines was not the same from one operation to the other.

Adding the round holes was probably an afterthought when the problem of reed raplacement arose. Rather than re-make the existing plate inventory, they made punches with just the round holes and reworked the existing plates. Thus the off-center holes arose from a registration error in the machine. I don't know but it's just my guess. This scenario is consistent with the hole-position error that you describe.

IMO, the best remedy is to "stretch" the holes in the reeds with a needle file to allow them to line up with the slot. Then you can moderately tighten the screw/nut and "walk" the reed onto alignment tapping on its base. I think that "walking" the reed sideways without any clearance in the hole would be very difficult because somewhere, metal has to distort.

Vern