[Harp-L] 12th position

Tim,
That's what i thought when i first heard of these books. But now that i have one, I was pleasantly surprised to discover that they contain a wealth of information some of which would be difficult to readily transpose, such as various alternative scales, and different arpeggios. While these patterns unquestionably remain the same from key on harps in different keys, some of this stuff is much more easily understood in the context of a particular key of harp (at least for me, and I am more or less fluent in 5 positions). I've always just changed harps and used the same breath patterns in order to change keys. But some of the info in these books is more sophisticated and is better understood with key specific information. My current interest has been learning arpeggios, which i had put off because I was too busy or lazy to sit down and figure them out. With this book, i don't have to because they are all explained and diagrammed. Probably not the most useful books for a beginner, but very, very, helpful for an intermediate or advanced intermediate player who is interested in expanding musical proficiency on the instrument. And very inexpensive, too.

JP

It seems strange to me that someone would buy a different book for each key. I know the note names would change for each different harmonica, but part of the process should be learning the patterns and relationships that repeat for each key rather than memorizing the notes. One book and a Circle of Fifths chart (-maybe-) seems like all you would need.

-tim

John F. Potts wrote:

Thanks.  I'd heard of these books, but didn't know if they were
worthwhile.  Anyway, I just found out that if you order 4 of
them on Amazon, the 4th one is free!