[Harp-L] Harmonica : a popular and ubiquitous instrument

I submit that, our frequent protestations here notwithstanding, the harmonica, especially the 10-hole diatonic, is actually one of the more popular instruments in Western culture.  Consider how often one hears it in movies & TV soundtracks, commercials, and, of course, pop, blues, rock and other music.  Producers love it, for a number of obvious reasons.

Perhaps our (harp-players') jaundiced sense of ignominy born by the 20-dollar-toy (now $30!) is driven more by our experience with bands' and other musicians' common apprehension at the appearance of the little devils.  Can't blame ém, often they are not well played, including by me sometimes, for example!  But many instances of fine playing are heard in our media streams all the time, often in the background or as filligree, often in the foreground too.

Given the harp's small size and range of applications, it stars everywhere.  I say it's truly a popular instrument that needs no defense, just some practiced use.   SO THERE!

-Dave "No I'm not being defensive!" Fertig