[Harp-L] More praise for Dummies book plus a new topic

Add my name to the list of those lauding the Harmonica for Dummies book. I
still take exception to the title. I think it's more like Harmonica for
Inquisitive People. I appreciate the in-depth coverage of such topics as
bending, positions, amps. upgrading/repairs, etc. This is a valuable work
and I'm having trouble deciding where to focus first.

One topic that's beyond the scope of the book, but which occurred to me as I
scanned the content is that of developing techniques for transcribing.
Anyone who attended music school probably learned the techniques, but I'm a
retired tech writer who's just returning to music after a 50+ year absence.
I've been taking clarinet and sax lessons for the last three years and often
find I wish I had the cheat sheet for a particular song. In my limited way
I've found that once I've established the rythm and written out the bars of
the song generically, I can fill in the actual notes from the piano (I don't
play, but I do know where the notes are). I suspect there is a lot more to
be said on the topic and would be glad to hear what others do. (Notice I
haven't even gotten into chords.) I suspect harpists don't need to write out
the score the way a saxophonist does, but I find Finale Songwriter to be a
good, inexpensive piece of software for this. (Finale NotePad is a simpler,
free version.)

-- Barts
--
Alfred Barten