Subject: RE: [Harp-L] RE: Summertime

You're right, Brad and Bill.  And I'd bet Christelle could play behind  and
with his take on it - IF she chose and it appealed to her. That's  the thing:
she plays what she likes...music which sounds good to her ears, which  is
probably why she's become an absolute sensation on YouTube. Her  sound is totally
unique...rich, full, melodious and stunningly beautiful.  Vibrato and Tone to
die for.

Talk about being an 'ambassador' for the harp!  All by herself -  playing out
of her quiet room in a town in the middle of France, she's managed  to reach
and touch people around the Globe....and single-handedly gotten more  people
interested in playing harmonica than most of us have done in our  lifetimes. We
should be welcoming her with Open Arms.

If her version of Summertime is what 'throwing everything in but the  kitchen
sink' is, I'll take it.  EVERYONE has a right to  interpret/play/arrange any
piece of music as they choose, as I think you agree  if you enjoy Billy
Stewart's version.

While I've 'usually' preferred Summertime at a slower pace  (and mentioned
this to Christelle on her youtube video)...she's made me a  believer that it can
also be played 'swing' style (as Jill Scott/George  Benson do so well in a
video I just recently came across). As a matter of  fact, there seem to be more
'swing' versions of the song out than there are  'lullabies'.

Jill Scott and George Benson

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCaPno7QChY_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCaPno7QChY)

Bill Evans Trio- 1965

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p_dHE5hQIA_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p_dHE5hQIA)

Joe Pass: Montreux Jazz Festival, 1975

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp-lTgapo_E_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp-lTgapo_E)

Janis Joplin's version:

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzNEgcqWDG4_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzNEgcqWDG4)

and last, but not least:

Larry Adler and Itzhak Perlman - 1980 - playing it slower and straighter,
but still jazzing it up....their own way

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmC4SJ42Z-s_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmC4SJ42Z-s)

...and just for an extra treat: here's Larry Adler doing it in 3 different
variations, cut cleverly together, including the version with Itzhak Perlman
above:

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoCM_NLQTcs_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoCM_NLQTcs)

Elizabeth