Re: [Harp-L] Hunting for a bucket of ice in the Summertime

 -----Original Message-----

From: Buddha <groovygypsy@xxxxxxxxx>

<<Larry, you talk about being or not being "harmonicaeee", on that point
I totally agree with you. However, maybe you've improved your
"harmonicaeeeness" since this video clip of summertime but you're not
demonstrating how you are playing outside of the harmonicaee box. Yeah
you're note choices are correct but that doesn't always make for a
great performance.>>

The opinions continue to differ. No surprise here. One man's gypsy is another man's thief. That's the way of the world.

This example of recorded Summertime - I wasn't aware it was being recorded. It was a minute of playing at a Jam Camp.
I wasn't doing the "performance" thang, merely giving a quick instructor's example on a song that I didn't practice.
I even cringe when I hear how my 3 hole inhale first bend was played too flat during this one. Oh well, snapshot in time.

<<I'll take passion and energy over "bullseye" notes any day.
Christelle may not have the musical knowledge that others possess but
she has feeling in her playing and that's what does it for me. Her
passion cuts the air like a knife and it's infectious.    Look at all
of the people that are blown away by Popper and Yonnet...  great
energy and passion in their playing... phrasing and note choice is
often iffy at best. Fans are drawn in via energy not bullseye notes.>>

You, your fans (or perception of them) are drawn in via energy.
Me, my fans (or perception of them) are drawn in via bullseye notes.
I don't like Popper and Yonnet is too cold sounding for me. I like DeLay, DelJunco.
There is no right/wrong, better/worse, final ultimate philosophy.

<<Why not take 1/4 of the time spent on telling people how to stop being
so "harmonicaee" and expand vertically with learning a few patterns
and speed chops so you can hit the correct target.  A bullseye in the
center of a tree ain't no good when you're hunting deer.>>

I wasn't aware that I was spending time telling people how it is, just offering
my opinion from my own little perspective. Why not accept it as being different from you?
I don't hunt deer. You do(?). I'm mostly vegetarian. You may not be.
Patterns and speed chops don't do it for me, personally. They do it for you, apparently.
You don't wanna be me and I certainly don't wanna be you.
We have different targets. There is no one "correct" one.
Viva la difference.