Re: [Harp-L] Harmonica within a larger Musical Framework add 1

My first Post got away before I could finish it and spell check it. Here's
the rest of that post...

Blues harp or diatonic has an economy of movement that is difficult to
duplicate on a chrome.
1.   Take for example the chromatic bass run used in a solo of Don't Get
Around Much Anymore -- after each phrase -- easy on diatonic, button work on the
chrome.
2. In general, it is much easier to get several bends on one hole than on a
chrome. e.g.. D2, D3.
3.   With out-of-the-box Hohner XB 40 or Suzuki 350 valved, you have access
to notes which are not there on the standard solo tuned chrome with windsavers.
4. The solo tuned chrome has the usual max of 4 notes per hole; a draw and
blow plus a single-reed blow bend and draw bend (same as XB & 350V).
5. Changing harps in mid tune often helps: using 2 or 4 harps helps -- and
nobody complains.

Maybe blues harp players are more learned in music. There are more   books
(and videos) in print teaching advanced techniques for blues harp than there are
for chrome. Most chrome books are either introductory books or collections of
songs.

With few exceptions most chromatic books (video?) do not deal with advanced
bending and slide techniques uses by the greats. For example, I've heard people
in seminars expound on tongue (corner switching/ tongue block left to right)
switching, but I've never seen (and I've been looking) for anything in the
mainstream music press about it. Like I said, most chrome books are beginner
level and offer virtually no advanced techniques/training at all.

So the bottom line is that the limitations of the individual harps; chrome
and diatonic may lend themselves to different kinds of musicianship.

This choice of instrument may have as much to do with the musicianship of the
player as other background.

And whether the player started out playing the songs from hearing a recording
or played them out of a fakebook or songbook folio. Some people may be able
to see the structure of the song in their mind's eye from hearing it; the rest
of us mortals need all the help we can get -- and that's where the notation
w/chord changes comes in.

Phil Lloyd
Keep on harpin

     `

New MapQuest Local shows what's happening at your destination.