Re: [Harp-L] Hunting for a bucket of ice in the Summertime

Maybe what you guys are looking for is a word like "pianistic."   That would
be "harpistic"; related to pianist, harpist, guitarist. A long form would be
harmonicistic (yuk). Why reinvent the wheel?

It is a word that has immediate meaning without any pejorative   or frivolous
suggestions. And it falls into the tradition of other musical terms, which
none of the others listed below do.

This means taking advantage of the layout of the piano. Some musical phrases
are easier to play on the piano than they are on harmonica or guitar.

Hole 3 on the diatonic yields at least 5 (including bent) notes -- which
can't be done on a piano. You press a key down you get one note. A fretted note on
a guitar bends up (sharp), with several options.
A guitar string bends sharp (raised pitch); the harmonica bends flat (lower
pitch) -- except for overblows.

For example, it is easier to slide from a black key to a white key than the
reverse.
Like Eb to E or Bb to B.   It is also a different "slide" than going from a
white key to a white key: E to F or B to C.

I don't know what the word is for the same thing on guitar but many blues
songs -- and others -- are based on chords that fit on the guitar. Fret the shape
of the chord and the notes for that phrase are readily accessible. Is this
guitaristic?

Take a diatonic harmonica and warble between holes 3-4. Why? Because you can.
Bend the notes and keep up the warble. Musical? Who cares? Just do it because
it is possible.

It's the harp player who goes beyond the standard riffs and techniques that
stands out.
In the good old days, melodies on the harmonica were limited to the 7-note
diatonic scale. This was harpistic playing -- letting the instrument determine
what could be played.

Then somehow bent notes were discovered and guys like (but not limited to)
Don Les realized they could play complex melodies using the extra bent notes.
This expanded the first harpistic playing.

And blues guys discovered what worked on the harp and created a few phrases,
which have become cliches.   Learning to play all these cliches offers the
beginning harp player the chance to learn the instrument itself and some of its
limits. This is a valuable step in learning the instrument and the musical
form. But many players are still confined to what they have heard other blues
players perform.   So again, they are limited in what they can play -- if they
limit themselves to cliches on the harp. This leads to blues harpistic playing.

Me, I'm still trying to learn the verse on Jingle Bells and the bridge on
Don't Get Around Much Anymore. And Summertime on a minor key harp -- why do it
(any other) the hard way?

Phil