Re: [Harp-L] How to repeat tones while toungblocking?

To articulate single notes with your tongue on the harp, try the tongued "p".

To get the feeling of doing this without a harmonica, try placing the tip of your tongue between your lips. Leave an opening between the right edge of your tongue and the right corner of your mouth (corner is where the upper and lower lips meet).

This is very similar to a tongue blocked embouchure.

Now, while keeping your tongue between your lips, try saying the syllable "PAH".

You do this by exhaling and closing the passage between the right edge of your tongue and the right corner of your mouth, then opening it. When you open the passage, you hear the "PAH" sound.

The easiest way to close off the opening is to let the corner of the lips do the work, keeping your tongue immobile.

Once you get the hang of doing it without a harp, try it with a harmonica, both inhaling and exhaling.

There are other ways to articulate notes with a tongue block (such as a glottal stop), but the tongue is nearest to the front of your mouth and gives the most clearly defined articulations.

Winslow

Winslow Yerxa