Re: [Harp-L] 'Summertime' - playing with 'feel' rather

nope - I said that "Personally, I believe that Howard plays to  keep himself
interested and has evolved so dramatically that he is almost  no longer of
this earth. "

It is not a deadly serious criticism, but a lighthearted way to mention
Howard's evolvement. I try not to put smiley faces at the end of sentences to
hammer that point home.

Curiously, when Howard played w/trio globo or a scaled down group that was
more relaxed, he sounded great to my ears. When he gets stratospheric with some
 of his own creations, they overwhelm me. Believe me, I understand what he is
 playing. I get it. I've seen him numerous times. He does lose a lot of the
audience at times, from my experience, when he goes over the top. Not
EVERYONE,  mind you.

Similar to Richard's Opera comparison. I get Opera, but fall asleep during
the performances. A lot of others in the audience nod off, too. I've seen  it.

I don't fall asleep during a high energy Howard show, just get a bit
overwhelmed and my ears shut down from the sheer barrage and techno firework
displays after about 20 minutes. Same happens to me during a Jason Ricci
performance. Testosterone driven as they may be, when I was a young dude full of  that
stuff, I liked it. Older mature Iceman has evolved past testosterone driven  and
into what I feel to be more depth - less notes with more spaces telling a
deeper story for me. Love Miles' solos, take Coltrane solos with a grain of
salt. I wanna play like Miles. Not interested in going the Coltrane route.

In a message dated 10/21/2008 1:16:57 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,