[Harp-L] Re:Summertime

I disagree that "Summertime" has to be slow and sultry.   My favorite version is by an obscure 1940's jazz singer named Jerry Kruger (sometimes spelled "Jeri" or "Jerri").   She sings an uptempo, lightly swinging version with hipster lyrics ("...your daddy was a millionaire your momma was a contest winner").   If I ever get around to doing a Fourkey rendition I'll probably emulate Jerry Kruger's version.

My problem with Christelle's version was that it seemed to be torturing a Richter tuning into something it was not cut out for, at least not in that position (I don't recall exactly but I think she played it in 2nd position?) and that it contained "harmonicky" idiomatic phrases.

That raises another question that I often wonder about.  Do audiences WANT and EXPECT the harmonica to sound "harmonicky"?   As I get farther and farther away from that sound, do I risk alienating listeners by not meeting their expectations for what a harmonica SHOULD sound like?