[Harp-L] "Sounds like Harmonica"

I am really enjoying this topic and hearing how the different strokes for
different folks opinions are coming out. I have come full circle over the
years in my thoughts about this. I started out thrilled to finally find an
instrument that I could play and enjoy. I started because I LOVED the way
harmonicas sounded. Then as time passed and I progressed I got into a real
experimental stage using effects pedals and such to try and sound "not like
a harmonica". Of course being a second position 98% of the time player no
matter what processing I used it still would make guys like Buddha cringe.
Oh well! Now I have come back to preferring minimal effects. A touch of
reverb or slap-echo still lets the "harmonica sound" come through. I have
retired my flange, chorus, POG, tremolo, wah wah toys, at least for now. I
am also venturing into more positions, like fifth, my favorite after second.
Even as I expand on my musicality I still like to hear the notes sound like
a harmonica. Now when it comes to listening to other harp players I love it
ALL. I am not a purist at all and think that anything and everything goes.
As far as audiences go I think there are probably an equal amount of people
that love hearing a harp not sound like a harp and the other half loving the
harmonica sound. I think that that is some of the cool experience of being
at a Jason Ricci show. He swings hard both ways. At times he is of another
universe and at others he takes you right down to the delta in Mississippi.
Now Madcat is something special to me. When I saw him recently with Triple
Play he really covered a lot of musical turf from roots to serious jazz. No
matter what he played it sounded like "harmonica" and I liked that.  Viva le
difference!

WB