[Harp-L] personal epiphany - was re: Sounds like Harmonica

One may also sink down an additional level and analyze an approach that
turns one off which would apply to any instrument (and even non-instrumental
situations).

For instance, I had a minor epiphany yesterday, which goes hand in hand  with
the a personal feeling towards testosterone driven (remember, testosterone
is just my way of describing an approach that has no OFFICIAL term, but helps
the larger community understand exactly the phenomena discussed) relentless
high  speed pattern approach to harmonica performance.

Met a woman yesterday who is a true hippie spirit from the 60's living the
same philosophy in the 21st Century. She even put on a CD that had the
soundtrack from HAIR and was singing along to "This is the dawning of the Age of
Aquarius". No problem with that, personally, except having not heard this music
for a few decades. What she did was talk to me (I'm sorry, I should say "talk
at  me" to be more precise) about feeling the love, the melt down of
capitalistic  society and going green. No problem here, either, as I share the same
views. The  problem was in her delivery - she is a high energy person and once
she started  talking, it was a non-stop stream of words, almost like she could
circular  breathe while talking. There were no spaces or pauses between her
ideas. It just  kept coming relentlessly. I found that my brain turned off after
about 15  minutes. It was too much constant stimulation. The only way to save
my sanity  was to literally interrupt her in the middle of a sentence to ask a
 question.

I analyzed my feelings during this interaction and realized it was the  same
one I get when listening to a testosterone driven harmonica  performance.

The result was a personal understanding that I need to be engaged in some
fashion with what comes at me or have a chance to digest what has  transpired -
discussion, musical performance in which I participate,  musical performance
in which I audience, etc. I like to feel I have a choice,  being a person of
relative high intelligence and experience (i.e. - old).

That barrage coming at me without pauses causes my brain to shut down after
15 minutes. I feel like a captive to someone's self involved energy burst.

I'm sure we've all had "discussions" with someone that really wasn't
interested in listening to what you have to say , being more  interested in finding a
set of ears to talk at.

Anyway, this is how I process a barrage of notes spewing forth from a
certain type of performer who loves to play their music in this  fashion.

Is the performer somehow wrong in his approach? Right and wrong doesn't
apply. Since I'm learning to value my own precious time more and more the closer
I get to the end of my ride here on the earth plain, I try to move away from
what bugs me and towards what energizes me. I also comment on lists like this
about what energizes me and what bugs me. It still mystifies me why an
opinion  is taken personally by some personalities (on or off the "L") and creates
anger,  hate and/or jealousy.

Oh well, this is probably part of the human experience for those that
haven't learned to transcend these low energy emotions.

The Iceman

In a message dated 10/23/2008 4:19:54 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,