re: [Harp-L] Stevie, Tony Bennett and telling a musical story

Iceman wrote:

For telling a story musically, Tony Bennett is one of the best living
singers. I draw inspiration from him and from Peggy Lee.

*****

Yep Tony is great... I can't handle him for more than a tune or two
but I always appreciate good music.

Iceman wrote:
Here is a good head to head example of one person who strips down the song,
simplifies and tells a story along with someone who is more of a musical
stylist.

Tony will start a song at a very sedate level, almost "talk/sing" some of
the lyrics, sing with no ornamentation, leave LOTS of space between lines and
then builds to a definite high point during the finale, oftentimes going for a
higher octave and power at the end.

Stevie is more R/B stylin' of the tune, with wonderful use of ornamentation
to dress up the musical line and make it his own, but is much busier note wise
 in his interpretation, less of a story teller.
****
I think this is a perfect example of playing appropriately. Stevie
OWNS this tune and I like how he used contrast with his solo and
really pumped up the tune while paying homage to the original. I don't
know how you can say Stevie is less of a story teller especially with
this tune.  I think stevie wonder is one of the most lyrical players
ever.

here are some other versions.  Who's copying who here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl4z_QHlnmk Ella Fitzgerald
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LId47zizlP0 Tony Bennet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1qNufVGb5g Frank Sinatra
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hOuMB_m-RA Michael  Bublé
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vxVyaYuGYE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyQHDVz4zAk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy1yxr7PDMI - Michael Bolton

You know who wrote this tune right?

****

Iceman wrote:
Never heard Stevie play chromatic like this - a combination of the best
"Stevieisms" along with the lyricism of Toots.

**

There are a few other example of him doing this here Toots quotes Stevie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzln9jXrX_g