[Harp-L] David Naidich at the Denver Festival

I met David Naidich this weekend at the Mile High Harmonica Festival in Denver this last weekend.  He?s a very talented player that has honed his skills on playing bluegrass melody in the bluegrass keys on a C chromatic.  I have never heard this done before.  We played two tunes Sat night together during the banquet show. An old timey tune, Over the Waterfall and the Kentucky Waltz.  I played the chord changes on two SBS?s while he played the melody on Over the Waterfall and with my D chromatic I was an octave below his lead on the waltz.  Both tunes were well received. David?s jazz chops are right up there as well and great guy.

The Denver the festival was great fun. With Jimi Lee, The Heartbeats (Phil Caltabellota, Wally Peterman and George Miklas), Tom Styrker, Bob Macfarlane, Clay Kirkland, Ronnie Shellist, Al Chesis and myself as the entertainers we had a good time.  Jimi was on fire all weekend with his jazz/ blues jams.  They made us stretch beyond the 1-4-5 changes. His show Friday night was tender and heart felt.  He had the audience in the palm of his hand.

The Heartbeats show was astounding. They are the best trio playing in the states.

Tom?s jazz set and Clay?s blues were as goods as ever.

All in all it was warm and fuzzy harmonica weekend with lots of camaraderie and fun.  Did we need to have about 30 extra bodies to make the black?  Yes!!!!! But we decided to go forward anyway. We served 77 dinners for the banquet but needed 105. It?ll be hard to plan for these events in the future.  With the Garden City falling by the wayside this year I hope clubs continue to take on the challenge of hosting small conventions and that the harmonica community supports them.

Paul Davies