From: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Garry Hodgson
Sent: Monday, October 27, 2008 11:22 PM
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Harp-L] do i need an impedance matcher?

i was poking around in the manuals for my rig today, and notice
something that gave me pause.  i run an audix fireball V into a samson
airline 77 wireless into a digitech rp250.  the samson has both
unbalanced xlr and balanced 1/4" outputs, so i run the 1/4" into the
digitech.  i always assumed that 1/4" was 1/4", and that this was the
right setup.

now, when i run the fireball to an amp, i need an impedance transformer
to convert the low-z (5k-ish) fireball output to the high-z (250k) the
amp expects for it to sound good.

so looking at the docs tonight, i realized that the 1/4" output from the
samson is just 5K Ohms, and the input on the digitech is 500K Ohms.

do i need a transformer like i do for wired operation? i assume they
make such things.  any other advise for hooking this all together?

i was amazed at the difference it made when i switched my wired use to
xlr cable with transformer (vs. a cheater cable).  i'd like to get the
most out of my wireless, too.

thanks

--
Optimism and pessimism don't exist for me.
I'm a blues man.  I am a prisoner of hope.