Re: [Harp-L] What's this Quote?

You may be right. I know it's that repeated four bar strain that is the
same, and I don't know either tune well enough to have really compared
the two closely.
However it's not just the fact that the lick involves the descending
b7- 6- 5-b7 , but the rhythmic phrasing and the way in which it's
repeated.
As with turns of phrase in spoken language, where even the simplest
expressions that we take for granted can usually be sourced to a
specific origin, I still suspect that there may be some common link.
If I come across any further evidence, you're sure to hear of it; just
don't hold your breath!
On looking further on the net, I see that 'Baiao' refers to a certain
Brazillian rhythm (as well as culinary dish) and  Luiz Gonzaga had a
number of tunes incorporating this word. None were simply called
''Baiao''. I listened to a few, but could not find the melody in
question.

RD

>>> Winslow Yerxa <winslowyerxa@xxxxxxxxx> 31/10/2008 10:08 >>>
The lick characteristic that begins both tunes (flat7 - 6 - 5 - flat7)
is very fairly common and probably comes up in several songs in a
variety of cultures with no real connection to one another. My guess is
that this similarity is a coincidence. And, although you can't really
hear it in the online clip that include a quote from Baiao, the
resemblance is really limited to that four-note beginning lick. Baiao
goes on the do several things melodically and harmonically that don't
happen in the Cajun tune.

Winslow Yerxa