Subject: Re: [Harp-L] playing sitting down (practicing)

Hi Richard:

I'm far from being a 'pro'..and I play chromatics for the most part...but I
have to agree.  While I do 'play' and practice a lot sitting down (mainly
necessitated by being at my computer when a song/instrumental comes on the
computer radio I want to try)...when I do finally 'play' for real....i.e. want  to
try out a song in its entirety or 'show my real stuff' to anyone  else (SmoJoe
at this past Spah for instance...in order to figure out what  songs to pick
to play together at Open Mic)..I absolutely have to stand up for  that; to get
the full feeling of air in my lungs, and to be able to move around  (I tend to
'dance' a bit to the music when I play, really can't imagine standing
still..'planted' in place, as it were).

But then...at Spah Blues Jams...and Buckeye (where I witnessed my first
jam):  the normal set up is a big circle of chairs with mostly guys playing
mostly diatonics seemingly very comfortably (although the one Jazz chromatic
player who joined in the last night, Charles Spranklin...remained standing for  his
turn).  Occasionally one will get up in the circle to  play...clearly one of
those like you (and me)...but most players seem to have  the ability to
produce everything they can do sitting down...and I've  been quite envious of that
ability. The sitting circles  do enhance the feeling of warm camaraderie (no
one person is ever 'The  Star' in the blues jams..and it's lovely).

 I will say the Jazz jams are usually 'stand-up' in front of a backing
trio...and the jazz players (whom I emulate)  tend to play standing more  often
than not even in their smaller groupings, sitting only when they're  tired, run
out of steam,or in a constrained area.

 It just gives me more energy, ability to use more  'body english' to play
standing up, somehow.  This is a topic I've  remarked on before and found very
interesting. Appreciate your broaching  the subject.

Elizabeth
P.S. Aside to Brad Trainham:  I do believe you're right:   pulmonary health
is a heckuva lot more important than a 10 pound weight  gain...but then, most
women reading your post would probably agree that 10  pounds is nothin'...when
you start talking 'real' weight .. 30 - 40 lbs,  then get back to me ;)

"Message: 4