Re: Subject: Re: [Harp-L] playing sitting down (practicing)

On Sep 2, 2008, at 2:26 AM, Rick Dempster wrote:

Sound's like heaven to me Joe.
RD

It IS heaven Rick. I have finally found a niche that works. Don't get me wrong. Jams are ok and we did that for years, but the problem you run into is they were always open jams, and anyone who thought they had something to add, would be able to play. This lead to situations whereas we would get as many as:
1....trumpet
1....sop sax
2....ten sax
2....alt sax
2....guit
1....bone
sometimes a violin, sometimes a flute, and yada yada ALL trying to play on the same tune. Sometimes as many as 11-12 musicians playing. Then, the tune gets kinda long. If you play a tune too long, it gets boring. Then you have to cut everyone to 1 head OR 1 bridge. Then you always have the hot dogs who have to spray the place with testosterone as they endeavor to be 'Star for a Day'.

Right now, all I have to do is show up, plug in my Peavey black diamond and start a 'restrained, low tones' tune like Take 5, Around Midnight, Nightlife, Haarlem Nocturne, Killer Joe, and watch the people eating, drinking, talking, and in general having the good time they originally set out to do.

smo-joe (aka Barley Miller)