Re: [Harp-L] Equal Temperament Tuning-- why I don't play chords (?)

----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul Bowering" <paul_bowering@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, September 03, 2008 10:26 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] Equal Temperament Tuning-- why I don't play chords (?)

>I'm not really sure why playing split intervals instead of chords works > >so well, but in my experience, it does. Perhaps some of you with more > >technical knowledge can tell me why this is so.

My response goes on the assumption that the interval you play is predominantly root/5th. If this is so then the interval sounds good because a Justly intonated 5th is only +2 cents as compared to an Equal tuned 5th. You might hear the difference if you were to play Just and Equal harps in a side by side comparison. In general however this interval will blend well on an Equal harp.

The 3rd of chord (and 7th) is where you'll really notice the difference. A Justly intonated 3rd is 14 cents flat of its Equal tuned counterpart. By not playing this note in concert with the Root of the chord you eliminate most of the dissonance.

Unfortunately, the fifth is the least important note in the chord. Most chords sound OK without the fifth. On the other hand, the third is the most important note in a chord. Without the third, you don't even know if the chord is a major or minor!

The chording possibilities are very limited on a diatonic and even more limited on a chromatic. There are many frustrating cases where you are playing along double-stopping or chording and you are confronted with a simultaneous blow & draw and/or button in & out to get the desired chord. Then the musical continuity is interrupted. My solution is put the harp on a rack and play a fretted instrument where almost all chords are available.

Vern
Visit my harmonica website www.Hands-Free-Chromatic.7p.com

On a 'C' harp you can pair Root/5th intervals of C/G, G/D and maybe B/F (played over a G7 chord) in the lower range. In the mid range you get C/G, D/A, F/B.

What other split intervals are you using?

Paul