Re: [Harp-L] Re: Enharmonics

Piano can be tuned any way you desire - equal, just, altered, etc. However,
all pundits aside and all exceptions noted, the reality is that, for most of
us, ET is the norm for most of the music we will deal with in the Western
culture. Equal temperament allows the piano to play in any key and have all the
chords sound "pretty darn good". When piano is combined w/other instruments,
the  other instruments will "bend" towards the equal temperament in their
playing -  whether consciously or not. It is a common ground by which all
instruments  can play together nicely.

Harmonica tunings have to choose between nice sounding chords and nice
sounding notes. Some tunings try to find a middle ground with the least amount  of
ugliness for both. However, the harmonica will never be able to truly satisfy
both camps with one tuning.

Blues players using lots of chording and double stops prefer Just  Intonation
to smooth out these sounds. The fact that the 3rd or 7th scale  degrees are a
bit flat sounding works well with the blues, as true pitch is not  as
imperative as in other forms of music. Actually, to be a bit our of tune is  part of
the blues heritage.

In a message dated 9/4/2008 7:58:12 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,