From: "IcemanLE@xxxxxxx" <IcemanLE@xxxxxxx>
To: jruss433@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, September 5, 2008 7:24:48 AM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Questions re: blue notes and micro-tonality

In a message dated 9/5/2008 7:27:21 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, jruss433@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I think you got it, Larry.  I grapple with this everytime I practice and every time I take to the stage (when maybe I should be practicing).  Should I do what I do and add to it; or should I backtrack and figure out what I've been doing for the last 30 years?  I ask myself the same questions about singing and haven't resolved them there either.

Not knowing what you do, it's hard to answer your question. I found that personal reevaluation of everything done and where it came from was a process of "re-inventing" my approach. Every year or two I began to consciously inject this reworking into my own evolution.

Since I started trying reconstruct while playing, I have slowed my development.  I remain greedy to reach the next step, yet I have gigs and the thrill of performance calls.  There are only so many hours in a day.

There comes a point where you may decide to turn off your analytical brain and start to follow the sound - you've put in enough time that your muscle memory response should be approaching the speed of your thoughts. Substitute sound for your words in your head. Chris talks about channeling the music of the universe through you by opening up to it. This works when you learn to quiet the words that spin through your brain as you talk to yourself in your head - analysis is a lot of talking. It gets so loud that you can't hear the music of the universe that is all around you. Some learn to quiet the mind through studying/practicing meditation. Once the chatter in your head stops, you'd be amazed at what you'll hear. It is wonderfully linear - one note that leads to the next one that leads to the next one that leads to the next one that leads........

The lady or the tiger...

Mark Russillo
a.k.a. The Rhode Island Kid